Saturday, January 14, 2012

Factories

After the morning at the Elephant camp we went to a few different kinds of factories. We felt a little out of place going into the silk factory and store right after having been hugged by Elephants. They don't always have the cleanest trunks:) I will try to get all my facts right about the silk factory. I had no idea that silk comes from the silk worms' cocoons....

The silk worms at various stages of their lives
The silk worms make cocoons (the yellow fuzzy looking things)
They put the cocoons into boiling water...stir the water and cocoons...
You can see the thin thread coming from the water to the bar and on to  the cylinder thingy.

The lady is pulling the thread and laying it into the bowl on the other side of her.

Weaving machine


changing the pattern...

We got there during their lunch break so there wasn't to many people working the looms. They have a beautiful silk store that you can get to from inside the factory.


After the silk factory we went to the umbrella/fan factory. I have never thought of the amount of work that goes into make these kind of umbrellas! You know those cute little umbrellas people put in drinks...they were selling them in the store as well. I didn't see anyone making the really little ones, but I am sure that they do! I am not sure about the order of these photos. We just walked around so we didn't really get to ask a lot of questions about what they were doing.
putting paste on the cloth that is covering the umbrella frame

Making the green umbrellas- green:)

Doing something....I think putting strings around the little wood pieces...
cutting the pieces of wood- I thought that they were going to cut their fingers off

Putting together the umbrella frame

She had a little tool to make the hole for the fans...( Tami got me a fan from here -see  my  Roommate Christmas post)


Not sure what they are working on
Painting the designs
More painting

Big umbrella

Here I am at the umbrella factory!

Like I said the pictures aren't in a great order, but the people were also just spread out all over doing different jobs and didn't seem to be in any order.

Hope you learned something about umbrellas or silk making. If you want one of these items let me know...but you will probably have to pay for your own silk clothing! I am told it is cheaper here..but wow! Maybe if you just bought some plain silk and made something out of it yourself:)







1 comment:

  1. Ahh yes, silk worms. You feed them mulberry leaves, I think. And I think that they like it really quiet or something? Back in the old days (I don't know what it is like now) They would like hand feed them or something and everything had to be kept really quiet so that they wouldn't be disturbed. At least that is what I read somewhere. That is one thing I would love to see!

    ReplyDelete