Sunday, December 11, 2011

Around town....

I thought I would just show some random pictures of things around town and help you see how I travel! 
People always ride in the back of open pickups! I have done it a few times as well.


The picture on the left shows a red songtaw and a yellow songtaw (stopped on the side of the road). I ride a red songtaw to church and if you want to go around town you can pay to ride on a red and tell them where you want to go. The yellow songtaws are more like a bus- I often ride a yellow that goes back and forth on the Hang Dong Road. You pay 10 baht (about 30 cents) to ride a yellow. On the Hang Dong you can get to 3 different Wal-Mart type stores (with groceries, etc). You can also get to one of the malls. It is about a 15 minute walk to the road from my house, but sometimes I ride my bike.
Another picture- from above! If it is full they still pull over and
you just hang onto the back...I have had to do that a couple of
times.

 
On our way to church- this red songtaw is paid for by our church
and it also stops by a local University to pick up international
students. The seats are two benches that face each other.
The river- it is closer to the downtown area.

My roommate thought that I should really take a picture of all the different kinds of rice! This was at one of the markets- I have no idea what you call all the different kinds, but it all is rice! When people say they are going to eat they literally say: "I am going to go eat rice" instead of I am going to eat dinner or something like that. I have rice pretty much everyday for lunch at school.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Karla. I am looking forward to visiting you! I dreamt that you made a surprise visit to me last night!!

    ReplyDelete