Saturday, November 26, 2011

Making Lefse in Thailand

So the new blog posts will not be in chronological order, but that is just the way life is sometimes...
Last weekend I was invited to make lefse for the first time in my life. Now I am a good Norwegian girl so I have enjoyed eating lefse at Christmas time, just have never made it. Usually my Grandma has bought it or we buy "Mrs. Olson's Lefse" at the local grocery store. I should back up and explain what lefse is for all you non- Norwegians out there....lefse is a Norwegian flatbread that you cook and then put butter and sugar on it before rolling it up and eating it. Yummy! Here is the process that started on Friday night: 

You have to boil potatoes... (I didn't really do this job...they just wanted me in the picture!)

Then you mash the potatoes....
They had decided to try this new way to "mash" them...instead of by hand...
This is one of the 3rd grade teachers...mixing the potatoes with butter...
Hmmm....they don't look like they are doing much work! The lady in red is a Special Ed. Teacher (and it was at her house- her husband is the Norwegian professional lefse maker:)) and the lady in blue is the head librarian and works mainly in the Secondary library (she's my boss).
Here I am mixing the potatoes and butter...then we put it in the fridge over night.

I was late the next morning because I had a Thai class for 3 hours...but when I got back to the house they were still working. I missed the step of putting in the rest of the ingredients, but was able to help with the rolling, cooking and cleaning up. 
Here is one "station" of lefse making..the rolling out and the cooking.
Another station....
Here I am about ready to bring my uncooked lefse over to the griddle to cook it. You have to be careful when carrying it. Behind me is the professional lefse maker! He is the Norwegian in charge...he has been making lefse for a long time and grew up on a farm in ND. 
Rolling out that lefse with lots of flour and my special rolling pin. 
Ready to flip that lefse!
I now have lefse in the freezer for Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Actually, you probably did help make lefse once...the one time I made it! But, maybe you were too young and so I suppose just watching doesn't count. That will be so nice for you to butter up and sugar up and roll up some lefse on Christmas Eve. We will miss you!

    ReplyDelete