Friday, January 11, 2013

Book List for 2013

One of my goals this year is to read lots of books....not just any books, but books that I could recommend to students as well as books that will help me learn and grow in my relationship with God, others and as a professional. All that being said...I am making a book list for 2013!
 Here is the beginning of the list (in no certain order)...

1. Wonder  by R.J. Palacio (finished this book...it was great and I would recommend it for people from 10 to 100)
2. Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (lots of my students are reading these books)
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (I have been wanting to read this book for awhile)
4. The Book Whisper by Donalyn Miller (this is a book that was recommended to me at a teacher conference- getting kids excited about reading, etc)
5. Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis ( Christian fantasy author...lots of my students are reading books by this author)
6. Joni by Joni Eareckson (started this one in Dec of 2012 but finished this week- an old book but it was good to read)
7. Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst (reading for a Bible Study- but I think that counts :) )
8. Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (started reading this in Dec 2012- Newbery Winner)
9. The Tanglewood's Secret by Patricia St. John (I have read Treasures of the Snow by St. John and heard good things about this one)
10. Hobbit by R.J. Tolkien (My mom started to read this book to us a few times...I have decided it is time for me to try to finish it... I guess I will have to read the 1st chapter again, ha)
11. The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox (Newbery Winner- 1974)
12. Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and David Funk (Many of the teachers at my school use this approach to help with classroom management)
13. The Giver by Lois Lowry (Newbery Winner- 1994)
14. The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi (Students are enjoying this series - Spiderwick Series)
15. The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Students enjoy these books so I thought I should read one...hopefully I will get through it :) )
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling (It is time to read the 1st book...maybe more)
17. The Shack by William P. Young (I have wanted to read this for a long time...can't believe I haven't read it yet...this will be the year!)
18. The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks (Just want to read it :) )
19. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (Newbery Winner 1972)
20. Under the Blood-Red Sun by Graham Salisbury (Just was looking at recommended books online and this one sounded interesting...don't know if I will be able to get it here in Thailand)
21. Peacebound Trains by Haemi Balgassi (Just was looking at recommended books online and this one sounded interesting...don't know if I will be able to get it here in Thailand)
22. Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool (Newbery Winner 2011)
23. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (I have heard people talking about this book-so I am interested in reading it)
24. Crazy Love by Francis Chan (Heard lots about this book...)


As you can see I spend most of my time in an ELEMENTARY library...
If you read a great fiction or non-fiction book, please let me know...I will be adding to my list and hopefully give you an update about how I am doing and what I am reading (I will try to make it exciting)!

Next post I will get back to that trip I went on last October :)

1 comment:

  1. ooh! I love books! And I love ideas for books! My friend Judy and I just decided to read One Thousand Gifts together--I can pass it on to you when I'm done if you want. :)
    I LOVE Crazy Love. I read the Harry Potter books last year and really enjoyed them (I watched the movies with my friends Bryan and Heather after I finished each book). The Help is SO good! I love Patricia St. John--I think I've read the Tanglewood Secret, but I can't remember. I used to have the Shack...do you want that one too? :D
    Thanks for the other ideas! Sometimes I like to go to the kids' section in the library and pick out books--they're good!

    ReplyDelete