Friday, January 18, 2013

A Day in Thailand Life- take 1

Ok, so I decided that I should join this "Day in the Life" blog post that  Laura was having this week. 

Thursday ended up being the day that I actually thought about it early enough to get pictures of the morning :) I have lived in Thailand for about a year and a half, but my days are pretty much like any working adult in the USA. A friend told me that I should quickly go out in the evening and ride an elephant, a tuk tuk (which I still haven't done) and buy a pig head at the market...:) Unfortunately that is not my typical day, so here is an average day in the life of Karla.
 *times are not exact


5:40am alarm goes off....which is really my phone on vibrate cause it doesn't ring anymore and I am to cheap and lazy to get a new one. Hit "delay"
5:45am alarm goes off again....roll out of bed complaining to myself about waking up so early!
5:55am walk to the front of the school where I work.
6am meet up with another runner- there is usually 2 to 3 of us that run 3 days a week. Today only one dad came who is training for an Ultra- Marathon! haha 
6:07am-6:36am run 5.2k and then head home
6:45am ate breakfast and got ready for the day
7:20am decided that today would be my "day in the life" day so I got my camera and took a picture of my running shoes :)

Then I took a picture of my cool Cinnamon Sugar grinder (from my wonderful friend, Johanna)that I used on my toast this morning...along with the toaster in the background.

7:23am- walked to school...

View from the Elementary School Library....kind of a foggy morning but it will just get worse as they begin to burn more and more in the coming months.

My desk at 7:30am...it needs to get organized and cleaned

I have been greeted every morning for over a week to a library full of mummies and other ancient Egypt artifacts from the 6th grade students. Also we are still celebrating winter here- hey a Minnesota girl can hold out hope for a white January...

8:32am- Time to look over Dewey Decimal worksheets...I have some pretty smart 3rd graders!
 I decided to spare you from pictures of books- shelving books, book displays, more books, checking and responding to emails, etc.

10:05am- 1st graders in the library learning about poems. As you can see it is cool season so I had to wear a "sweater" today. No A/C used and doors open!

10:45am- Next 1st grade class...same lesson different students...
 Again... I will not trouble you with pictures of emails, shelving books, talking to students, books, and more books...

12:30pm- Lunch time... free school lunch everyday....Tuesday and Thursday are "western" food day along with a Thai dish. There is always a salad bar....

And always rice....This is the teachers' food- the students get their food on the other side of the room.


My co-worker who catalogs all our books- eating green curry....I just ate the chicken noodle soup.

 1:25pm- 6th grade comes to library- I don't teach this class, but I often help the students check out books, etc. They loved helping me with pictures :)

 2:15pm- the other group of 6th graders...they were equally excited about being in my photos and we couldn't stop laughing...

3pm-4pm- a couple of families came in to check out books, more books, etc and at the end of the day my desk looked like this......

 4:05pm- Cheering for the U14 soccer team. Don't I look like I am really flexing cheering :) 

4:25pm- back at home sweet home....

4:30pm-5:40pm- time for Thai...trying to make the correct sound

 hmmm what is the difference between b/bp and d/dt....our american ears can't figure it out....

Finished work... now if I could just remember how to say all those sounds!

 6pm- Dinner time with a friend...riding on the motorbike...on the wrong left side of the road.

The food was good....and great conversation. Again not Thai...I do eat Thai food :)

7:40pm while trying to get my helmet out I had managed to send the other helmet sliding down to the back of the storage under the stairs...it only took about 10mins to get it out from behind all the boxes....

 It is found!!!!

 8pm- read the 1st chapter of The Book Whisperer excited for new ideas to get kids reading and enjoying it!

 Time in the Bible and prayer as I wait for 9pm and my weekly skype date with my mom.
9pm comes around and this is usually how it goes.....

I think we only lost each other 4 or 5 times....such is the internet connection....


After a lovely conversation with only about 100 5 "are you still there" we said our good-byes and I headed for bed. 
Maybe next time my "Thai life" will be more exciting and involve elephants and markets...



6 comments:

  1. love reading about your day! You look very cute and put together and you managed to get up super early and run. I am beyond impressed. Maybe you could offer the boys some reading suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I traveled to Thailand for our honeymoon so it was interesting to see little peaks of life there. Mostly were weren't big fans of the food, so I don't blame you for not eating it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to be dedicated to the early morning workout - something that I find impossible to do. I look forward to reading your older posts to discover about how you came to live in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Skype conversations are the same with my mom! She is always saying my name very loudly then asking if I am there while I crack up since I can see her making the funny faces but she cannot see me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was really interesting!

    Skype drives me nuts but at the same time it's so darn handy. But I get bad connections even between various Twin Cities suburbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved the post! also super impressed that you go running that early in the morning! wow.

    ReplyDelete