Friday, February 15, 2013

Book List Update

Just an update on how I am doing on my reading...the books that are bold are the ones I am currently reading. I am still taking book suggestions if you have any- let me know!

1. Wonder  by R.J. Palacio (finished this book...it was great and I would recommend it for people from 10 to 100)
2. Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (lots of my students are reading these books)
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (I have been wanting to read this book for awhile)
4. The Book Whisper by Donalyn Miller (this is a book that was recommended to me at a teacher conference- getting kids excited about reading, etc)
5. Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis ( Christian fantasy author...lots of my students are reading books by this author)
6. Joni by Joni Eareckson (started this one in Dec of 2012 but finished this week- an old book but it was good to read)
7. Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst (reading for a Bible Study- but I think that counts :) )
8. Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith (finished this book that I started in Dec. Very interesting about the Civil War- Newbery Winner)
9. The Tanglewood's Secret by Patricia St. John (This was a good book- somewhat similar to Treasures of the Snow by St. John)
10. Hobbit by R.J. Tolkien (My mom started to read this book to us a few times...I have decided it is time for me to try to finish it... I guess I will have to read the 1st chapter again, ha)
11. The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox (Newbery Winner- 1974)
12. Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and David Funk (Many of the teachers at my school use this approach to help with classroom management)
13. The Giver by Lois Lowry (Newbery Winner- 1994)
14. The Field Guide by Tony DiTerlizzi (Students are enjoying this series - Spiderwick Series)
15. The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket (Students enjoy these books so I thought I should read one...hopefully I will get through it :) )
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling (It is time to read the 1st book...maybe more)
17. The Shack by William P. Young (I have wanted to read this for a long time...can't believe I haven't read it yet...this will be the year!)
18. The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks (Just want to read it :) )
19. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien (Newbery Winner 1972- I thought it was a great book even though I don't like rats :))
20. Under the Blood-Red Sun by Graham Salisbury (Just was looking at recommended books online and this one sounded interesting...don't know if I will be able to get it here in Thailand)
21. Peacebound Trains by Haemi Balgassi (Just was looking at recommended books online and this one sounded interesting...don't know if I will be able to get it here in Thailand)
22. Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool (Newbery Winner 2011)
23. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp (I have heard people talking about this book-so I am interested in reading it)
24. Crazy Love by Francis Chan (Heard lots about this book...)
25. Ten Boys Who Changed the World by Irene Howat (a very easy read about 10 famous boys- such as Billy Graham, Eric Liddell, John Newton, etc. It takes you through their whole lives in a quick 10 page overview for each person.) 
26. Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller (Realized that I haven't read this book...and decided that this is the year)
27. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (a friend and a student have recommended this book to me)
28. Mai Pen Rai: means never mind by Carol Hollinger (someone asked me if I had this book in the library and we do! So being here in Thailand I thought I should read it. It is written by someone who visited Thai in the 50s so a lot has changed but hopefully it is still interesting! And yes, "mai pen rai" does mean never mind/ no problem/it's ok :))
29. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (nope haven't seen it...but thought I should try to read the book! I truly believe in reading books before or after watching movies that are based on books)
30. Naked Bunyip Dancing by Steven Herrick so one day my friend who was volunteering in the Secondary library found this book in our library catalog and wanted me to look at it- because of the name of course. :) I decided to read it...not much to say about this Australian book other than that it is similar to Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.



2 comments:

  1. Bryan Davis is one of my favorite authors! And he has great Christian themes as well. Be warned, though; if you read Raising Dragons, you'll want to read the rest of the series. But they're worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my students love his books! Not super into fantasy books...but who knows :)

      Delete