Saturday, September 14, 2013

Funny things kids say....

At the beginning of the year in the library the 1st and 2nd graders learn about fiction and non-fiction books. I have decided to start by making them play a little game. 

The 2nd graders play "make-believe" or "true" and each student needs to say one thing that is "make-believe" and one thing that is "true." Then we get to try to guess which is true and which is not. 

This year the first graders just said one thing and we had to guess if it was true or not.

I don't know if this is the best way to introduce the idea of fiction and non-fiction, but it is a great way to get to know the kids and it gives me some funny stories :)

Here are some of the best ones from this year:

One 1st grader had us decide if he was telling the truth about wearing space alien underwear. He was ready to show us if we didn't believe him... :)

Another 1st grader said she had 1,000 cousins. We guessed that was make-believe and she agreed but then informed us that she had 90 cousins. I am still waiting to see her mom to find out if that is true or not!

One 2nd grader said that he lived in a pickle... hmmm we knew for sure that was false!

I know there were more...but I didn't have time to write them all down before I forgot!


No comments:

Post a Comment