Sunday, May 19, 2013

I learned how to write my name.....

       ... in Thai!!! Now I know that might not sound so exciting and I probably could have written my name along time ago. I could just copy what someone else wrote and say that I know how to write my name, but that is NOT what I have done. I actually know what the "letters" mean! Woohoo!
I will probably be able to write all your names soon too or maybe not...cause I still have 20 some rules to learn...
Anyway here is my name in Thai:

 คาร์ลา

ค  this is kaw khwaai  - when you say the letter you add a word that goes with it...khwaai.... is water buffalo

this is a vowel- sara aa  - it is here and at the end of my name...


ร์ this is raw rwa - "rwa" is boat in Thai and the little symbol on the top is to tell you that it doesn't make a sound. Yes, in Thai they don't say the "r" in my name...I am "Kala".


this law ling- "ling" is monkey in Thai

I wonder if this means that I have a water buffalo and monkey in a boat (that is very quiet in the water)?!?!

There is your Thai lesson for today....
now back to memorizing all the rules and letters...

5 comments:

  1. Well done, Karla! Congratulations for taking the time to really learn about how to write your name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I don't think a water buffalo and a monkey in a boat sounds like a very quiet combination, but I guess you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better learn how to spell "Deacon". He has been writing his name in Japanese and I am sure he would love to use Thai too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to come home and write all our names in Thai? I think that would be good practice for you over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I agree with Kristel. Learn all those rules so you can practice with our names!

    ReplyDelete