Friday, March 22, 2013

Trip to a village

I have been helping some Kachin students with English on Monday nights and I finally had the chance to go to visit their homes. These students are living in the city to be able to go to a good school with hopes of getting into university.

We drove up to their village, which took about 2 hours and got there just in time for church.
We sang "Once Again" in both Thai and English in front of everyone :) 
Good thing the girls made us practice on the way there (don't know if it actually helped). haha

Not really sure what I actually sang during the Thai part...
After the service, which was all in Kachin, we went to one of the girls' houses for lunch. Many of the moms were there helping cook as well.

Papaya Salad
Happy girls.... :)
After lunch the girls took us to each of their houses and we met grandmas, nephews, sisters, a brother, moms, and dads! It was kind of funny cause we just walked from house to house- staying at each house for only a couple of minutes. It kind of felt like a parade! They were very proud and pleased to share with us where they lived.
Rice drying outside
Sisters!
Sisters and Grandma!
Father and daughter
Sisters!
one of the houses...
After we saw all their houses we went to a Chinese village that was very close by to the Kachin village. We saw a school, church and a Children's home there. Then we went back and picked up the kids to go home. When we got in the van a couple of the girls asked if I was happy. When I said that I was happy that I got to see their homes and families one of the girls gave me a huge smile and said, "Yes, you got to see my mom, dad, and sister." They were so excited that we took the time to meet their families and see their homes.

To learn more about my friends' ministries around Asia you can go to their website and click on the menu:

No comments:

Post a Comment